Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Welcome to Wingham

Sorry everyone...I know I've been slacking a bit on my updating but I've been busy relocating and settling in. I'm now in Wingham, sort of, it's actually a little village called Bundook but the closest town is Wingham or Gloucester. I haven't actually been to the village because I've been staying with my HelpX hosts on a 240 acre farm and there's plenty to do here to keep me occupied.


- The house -


My hosts are Jane and Ant and they are lovely. Ant is a plumber/all around handy man and Jane does web design from home. Jane is the horse enthusiast and she's already taken me out riding once. It felt so nice to get back on a horse after not having ridden in so long and the scenery is so gorgeous here that I could have stayed out all day.


- Jane -

As for what I'm doing: Well first off for those of you who don't know HelpX is a website, www.helpx.net, which connects people that are willing to work and need a place to stay with people that need help around the house or farm and have a spare room. So Jane and Ant let me stay at their place and eat their food and all I have to do is stay busy around the farm doing what needs to get done. So far that has been picking fruit and veggies out of the garden, feeding the horses and dogs, chipping thistles, and generally keeping the house clean. Nothing so far has been too difficult and Jane is home all day and willing to show me whatever I need and help me out.


- Ponies: Freddy, Tommy, Clyde -

Yesterday I cleaned out the fridge and came across some overripe bananas so I thought...banana bread. I've never made banana bread but I looked up a recipe and surprise surprise it turned out quite tasty. It was nice to do something for Jane and Ant to show them how much I appreciate them putting me up and now I've got delicious banana bread for breakfast.

I will be staying here until Friday and then I'll be going to Jane and Ant's friends place for a week. After that Ant is going out of town for about a week and a half so I'll probably come back here and keep Jane company. That's about as far ahead as I have thought, although I have been looking into a program called WorkStay.com over in Western Australia so we'll see if that comes through.

Promise I'll update after I switch places on Friday if not sooner. Hope everyone is doing well back home and I miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment