Saturday, February 27, 2010

Touristy Stuff



I've now been in Sydney for 4 days and yesterday I finally went and did some of the touristy stuff. My friend James, who I met in England, has a friend named Emma that is currently living in Sydney so we got together via facebook and went for a walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was quite a walk, mostly because it was so ridiculously humid, but also very pretty and had amazing views of the Sydney Opera House.




I spent the entire first half of yesterday sitting in front of the computer trying to get my mobile internet to work. It's actually a pretty cool concept when it works. Basically I can use my phone as a modem and I just purchase data on a prepaid basis. The only problem was the software to do it came on a CD and I don't have a CD drive on my computer. I went down to Telstra, the phone company I'm using, and they very kindly transferred the data on the CD to a thumb drive and then I could load it on my computer. It took a while but the good news is it works. Telstra is the only network provider with service in over 95% of Australia so even though its a bit more expensive I chose to go with them since I plan on spending a fair amount of time out of the big cities.

Tonight is the Mardi Gras Gay and Lesbian Parade which should be crazy. I met a German girl named Irina at the house party Dean through and she's invited me to go out with her so I wont be alone. The house party was a lot of fun. Dean cooked kangaroo, which is surprisingly delicious, and we made sangria. The most entertaining part of the day had to be the preparation of the cheese souffle, which turned out to be more cheese omelets in their own separate cups. Regardless they were quite delicious.

Monday I leave for Wingham, a town not even the Aussies have heard of. Hopefully Telstra's famed coverage extends there and I will be able to get on the internet and update on my farm adventures.

Until Wingham!

No comments:

Post a Comment