Friday, February 19, 2010

The Countdown Begins, 3 Days till Australia

3 Days!

That's right, in only 3 days I will be boarding a plane to Australia where I will spend the next 12 months of my life. Everyone I know keeps telling me how exciting it's going to be, how much fun I'm going to have, but to tell the truth I'm nervous, very very nervous.

I've traveled abroad many times before, even living in London, England for 3 months, but nothing like this. In England I traveled with kids from school, had a set place to live, a bank account already set up, and most importantly a schedule. Australia is going to be a different type of adventure all together. I do have a few far distant family members whom I have never met living there to turn to in case of a dire emergency but aside from that I am completely alone.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Based on advice from friends I signed up for a website called CouchSurfing.org. CouchSurfing is a site designed to set up travelers with no where to spend the night with people who are willing to lend them a couch. The site boasts 1,690,425 members from over 200 countries and so far it seems to be a valuable resource. I have joined many forums relating to traveling in Australia and made a few connections with others living in the area but CouchSurfing's biggest test will come after my arrival since I am planning on spend my first few nights surfing on a strangers couch. So far everything seems in order, now all I have to do is find the place once I get there and keep my fingers crossed the guy isn't a creep.

That's all for now...I'll post more later on some of the more delicate details of the trip such as finding airfare, opening a bank account, and buying travel insurance. But for now its time to finish packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment