Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gloucester Show

This Saturday Jane let me skive off work and go with her friends Cheryl and Pete to the Gloucester Show. Gloucester is the nearest town to Jane and Anthony, about 30 minutes away, via very narrow and winding roads. I don't do very will with the hills and curves in cars so I've been dealing with a lot of feeling carsick, but I managed not to vomit so its all good.



Pete and Cheryl

The Gloucester Show is basically an agricultural show. They have all the cakes, jams, paintings, flower arraignments etc etc on display and then they are judged. They also have the kids with their show cows and chickens and goats. The most fun part was the horse shows they did, lots of show jumping and some barrels and polls. Reminded me of summer camp and makes me kind of wish they did Pony Club over by me when I was younger, it looks like a lot of fun. They also had a wood chopping competition where these giant men hack a log in half and obviously the fastest time wins.



Wood Chopping Competition
It was a very interesting atmosphere, busy and full of people but not at all like a city. Everyone was drinking and having a good time. There was a demolition derby which was definitely the highlight of the night what with the burning cars and all. There was also one of the most spectacular fireworks displays I've ever seen. It might have been because we were so close, literally across a football field the short way, but it was still pretty incredible for such a small town thing.

I haven't been up to much else except working at Jane and Anthony's, riding horses, vacuuming up spider webs, and playing with the cat. I'll be leaving here on Saturday and heading to Perth and then Meekatharra for the start of my next adventure.

Until Perth!

No comments:

Post a Comment